"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

Sunday, August 14, 2011

What's your theme song?

Defying Gravity
I love this song. If you've never heard it, it's from an amazing musical called Wicked. Though you may have heard it on Glee, which is funny because both Kristin Chenowith and Idina Menzel were in Wicked and on Glee. (Side note: my Big Brudder Mer got us tickets to see Idina in October with the Houston Symphony. So I love Mer too.) But back to the song. 
Every year I try to pick a theme song for my kids. Last year was "I Gotta Feelin" by the Black Eyed Peas. This year is "Never Say Never" by Justin Beiber or as he is known at my house The Beibs. Doesn't matter really if I love the theme song, just that my kids love it and it has a good message for them. So I got to thinking as I am about to turn 26 that I need a personal theme song for myself this year. (Side note 2: My actual birthday is THIS Wednesday though I have been celebrating all month!)

I've been sharing with several people about my sudden need to simplify my life and purge some of the excess things that are getting in my way. I just want to get rid if the things that are bringing me down. My stepdad, Sammy, and I had a nice, long conversation about this today, and he remarked how much I've grown up. I really think he's just hoping for an end to my favorite phrase "I'll never ask for ANYthing else EVER again!" I can't really put my finger on the exact reason for this decision, but I'm sticking with it. 

My stepdad also went on to say that he knows I've had a rough road to get here. So I started to think about it all and how much lighter I feel (physically AND mentally) versus last year. Last year I didn't want to celebrate my birthday at all because it reminded me of my mom so much. Last year Terry and I spent the summer living with my dad because of housing issues. Last year I thought I'd never get out of debt after my credit was ruined. Last year I thought I'd never want kids. Last year I was on my way to Type 2 diabetes due to a medical condition I didn't even know I had. But then I hear the line "Some things I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know." and change them I did. I'll let you read the lyrics and see for yourself. And then I'll ask you: what's your theme song? 

"Defying Gravity"
Something has changed within me 
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits
'Cuz someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!
I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
And you can't pull me down

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I'm flying high
Defying gravity

No comments:

Post a Comment