After a disappointing week, I climbed back on my podium and continued to look for creative funding for my classroom. My principal gave me an application for the Alliance for Education mini grant which is geared towards music this year. So I spent this weekend researching the best ways to apply for this grant. I have been really enamored with the SmartBoard lately, but I started to really think about my goals in the music class:
-Every student should have the chance to sing, dance, play, and create music. I am also trying to encourage a whole group mindset since my students perform together.
This leads me to wonder is a smartboard really what I need right now?
I ask this because a smartboard's placement can tell you a lot about it's use. It is traditionally mounted in the front of the classroom. The traditional teacher area. I do not generally stay in this area during class time. The students and I are constantly moving. Also, we are not always in the classroom. We do performances in the auditorium as well as outside of school. I also have music class outside on those nice days.
So...I need something interactive, but portable. Now, I LOVE my iPad. I will say it all the time that this device is my life changer. This grant is only for $2000 so a classroom set of those is out of the question.
How about a team set of iPod touches? There are a multitude of FREE apps that allow students to sing, dance, and create music. They can also record and document these activities for assessment. I would also get a document camera so the students can share their work on the big screen. I am so excited right now that I can't sit still. The moral of the story is to really think about your classroom needs before you jump on the new thing bandwagon. Guess that is a life lesson as well since I am trying to become a better saver. Now if someone buys me a smartboard will I use it? You bet! It is just not at the top of my priorities list. Also needed, a way to wirelessly present what is on the iPad onto the screen. Seems to me that Apple could easily create this.
No comments:
Post a Comment