"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

Thursday, July 12, 2012

First week of Motherhood

9 days ago life changed forever when Teagan Noelle, or Sweet Tea, was born. It has been a crazy week. So here are my thoughts on being a new mommy done with song titles of course. 1. All You Need Is Love  I spent the past month nesting and freaking out that I didn't have everything I needed. Then I brought her home and figured out what everyone (except those damn baby product people) kept saying. You don't need any of that crap. Here is my super basic list of things we've used this week. -Boobs or bottles: For me, it's boobs. Along with boobs, I use a pump (the Medela Harmony is so easy for a quick manual and I really like the Lansinoh Double Affinity), lanolin, and lots of burp cloths, and Milk storage bags. the Boppy is nice, but pillows will work fine. -Diapers: I'm using disposables right now till she fits in my cloth dipes. The ones with the indicator stripe for wetness are amazing! Also, wipes and Walmart bags for keeping the stinky in.  -Sleepytime: We're using the Pack-N-Play in our room right now. It has the bassinet and changing table built in and is great. She also sleeps in the Nap Nanny (not needed but loved) and the swing.  -Clothes: Before we had to wrap her arm, we used onesies, rompers, and sacks. She wears pretty much anything except socks but LOVES to be swaddled and have a hat on. I recommend the Aden+Anais blankets. They are large and lightweight.  -This is my complete list. Everything else sits in her room waiting to be used.  2. Questions My dad always said "If you don't know, ask." No matter how many classes you go to or books you read, you can't be an expert. Especially as a first time mom. I tried to escape the hospital as soon as humanly possible. Every time a nurse or dr asked if I needed anything, I'd say no. Well, then you get home and all these questions pop up. Find someone to ask: family, friends, those dr and nurses. I finally did and that question to my lactation consultant helped us discover that Tea has nerve damage. It kills me to think what could've happened had I not asked the question.  3. I Never Promised You a Rose Garden My mom sang this song to me all the time. Usually when I was whining. Well there have been some whiny moments this week. Sleep deprivation can do that. Talking to people will help; they can keep you positive. That's the best advice at all. Stay positive and snuggle that sweet baby. And take lots of pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment