"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 3 and the Return Home

Saturday was for many people the most exciting day of the Symposium. We started the morning with a session on the role of the music teacher in the general classroom. This session really hit home for me because I am very interested in cross curricular activities. This was a panel discussion with the group and I enjoyed hearing the same ideas of the importance of connections and relationships in the learning process. Some music teachers feel that we should be an island and that combining with other subjects diminishes the work that we do. But I argue aren't we Enrichment teachers? That means to enhance, add to, make better. That for me envelops all aspects of a student's life. Plus, working with teachers in my school gives us both support. Especially at the elementary specialist level, I am the only music teacher at my school on a daily basis. Without that support, I would be more likely to burn out or cut back on the number of programs I offer due to lack of resources such as time. I see it as a positive in my professional life, and I hope to take back the data and discussion to my district to further encourage and grow this idea. 

Enough shop talk and on to the Yale tour. So cool and informative. We took some great pictures which we posted on Facebook. They have so many libraries and all the buildings are disguised as cathedrals. :) Terry also found Louis Lunch, home of the first hamburger. 

Then on to the YoYoMa session. After we made it through the very rude line that is. (Just because you are the alum of a classy school, doesn't mean you are classy.) He gave a lecture on the importance of breaking outside the box in education which he does with his Silk Road Project. Check it out because it is incredible! And of course he played for us. It was so beautiful I wanted to cry. He plays with so much emotion. 
The Silk Road Project then performed live, outside, and for free in the New Haven Green. It was raining but that didn't stop thousands from attending. We got special stadium seats with a pretty good view of the stage and away from the crowd of umbrellas. It only rained hard for a minute, but it was very cold to this Shreveport girl. Totally worth it however. The instruments are from all over the world including the tabla and my favorite the shakuhachi. 

Overall this weekend was eye opening and encouraging. They left us with the challenge that we are teacher leaders. Not just in music but in all education. We have to bring the change we want to see. I am excited and can't wait to share with my colleagues. I feel like my brain may explode if I don't. That is part of the reason I have been posting so often so thank you for supporting me with my frequent bloggities. Also a huge thank you to my husband who supports me daily and encourages me to dream big and never quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment