"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

Friday, June 10, 2011

Yale Bloggity Blog Day 1

Day 1: The Trek to Connecticut
Woke up at 3:30 Thursday morning and Pops took Terry and I to the IHOP before our flight. Yum waffles! If you've seen me hungry you definitely don't want to see me tired and hungry...and on a little plane too...Got to Shreveport airport super early and easily made it through security. Ok guys, I know my sister in law works there but it's not like she gave us a cheat sheet. There are large signs everywhere explaining the do's and don'ts for your luggage. I thought she was making up her daily stories of people who don't know that shampoo is a liquid but surely enough that lady is in front of us. And she actually tries to debate it with the screener. Not a smart move and she was promptly escorted out of line. Wonder where they took her. Hopefully back to elementary science class to learn about the states of matter. Also there was a lady with two bugs in her coffee but she still drank it and told everyone about it. So I immediately start to worry about this plane trip...dumb is surely not contagious in closed spaces right? And this plane was tiny. That was not the reason that I was slightly nervous however. The reason for that was the fact that the pilot must secretly want to be a race car driver. He took off and landed like he was at the Indy 500. But we did make it safely to Atlanta and early to boot. How many times does that happen?

So onto Atlanta. I dislike this airport. It is waaaaayyyyy too crowded and everyone is desperately trying to make it 47 miles away to their connecting flight with only 5 minutes to get there. Atlanta Airport is not a part of the South. NO southern hospitality at all. Ladies even cut in front of me in the bathroom. Not even an excuse me. :( The little shuttle train thing is super cool though. We quickly boarded a real plane with a driver without a lead foot and were off to Hartford, Connecticut. Got to that airport and it was so cute and everyone was helpful. LOVE them! The shuttle guy had to bring a van to pick all of us up so no limo for me but that's ok cause I got to meet some of the other attendees before we even got to Yale.

Yale's campus is huge! It is like a city by itself. Everyone was complaining about the heat wave. Here's your giggle Shreveporters it was only 80! We got checked into our dorm and it was as all dorms are to me: disgusting! And none of the buildings have air conditioning. And Terry and I slept on those separate little dorm beds on opposite sides of the room. It made me appreciate being a commuter in school but hey I'm at Yale so I can't complain too much. We settled in and took a walk for a snack and to get a couple of Yale shirts but Terry's super tuba ears heard a New Orleans style jazz band so we walked down to check that out too. Kinda cool to hear in Conn. Then we headed back for the reception dinner and it started to storm. So glad we came early because several people were stranded. Got to meet our dorm suite mates who are from Alaska and lots of other amazing educators. We were the only people from Louisiana so that was nifty and we answered alot of questions. "Is it hot there?" was the most popular. Terry quickly caught the attention of everyone literally because the dean could not get everyone's attention to start the festivities. His services have been used extensively all weekend. The evening was fun and friendly but we had been up for 18 hours and it was time for bed. Tomorrow let's do some learning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment