Shreveport to Nebraska and all the cool stuff in between...
A couple months ago I decided to surprise Terry with two of his favorite things: seeing his best friend and seeing Drum Corps International (DCI). This Friday we set out for Nebraska in the Juke. It's a 12 hour drive but we kept ourselves busy with awesome music and really funny city names. We thought we were driving through Arkansas and Missouri but somewhere along the way we must've gotten lost because we wound up in some crazy places like London, Greenland, Mexico, Peru, and Nevada. My personal favorite was Peculiar. We also were detoured into Iowa (the real one) due to the flooding in Nebraska and Missouri. I didn't know they had a coastline. Besides that there were lots of mountains (I thought the midwest was flat!) and of course corn.
Finally we made it to Ken's, and I LOVE his family! So welcoming and hilarious. We played badminton and Apples to Apples and Guesstures. His mom even adopted me right into the family. (She's anxiously awaiting those grandbabies now.) We did some window shopping downtown and saw the crazy flooding of the river. We even played frisbee golf. Well I documented the boys played. Side note, Nebraska's bugs are crazy! But the best part of the trip was by far DCI.
If you've never heard of drum corps, it's like marching band on steroids. Six of the best groups in the nation performed for us including my personal favorites, the Cavaliers. I LOVE those hats! They did a huge range of music from Evanescence to Hans Zimmer to Prokofiev. Each group sounded really good. And the Cavi's won of course! AND they performed the encore. Perfect night.
This morning we said our goodbyes and headed back. The drive was a lot better when we avoided our detour into Iowa and drove through Kansas. Random fact: both Missouri and Kansas have a Kansas City right next to each other on the state line. I'd imagine that would cause some confusion. We are finally stopped for the night outside of Joplin Missouri and will finish up tomorrow. Short commercial break: hotels.com is amazing. The bed and breakfast Terry booked a month ago "forgot" our reservation. :( I was so worried we wouldn't be able to find a room last minute but hotels.com found us two closer AND cheaper rooms. Kudos to the EconoLodge in Carthage MO and the Super 8 in Neosho for their outstanding customer service and delicious breakfast! In summary, good trip but ready to sleep at home for one night before we continue to Dallas...
No comments:
Post a Comment