"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. ~A.A. Milne

Saturday, April 2, 2011

PCOS book review #1

My recent PCOS diagnosis left me needing some research. So I took my amazing new Nook to Barnes and Noble to hunt down some reading materials. Before I talk about the book I have to brag on the Nook. LOVE IT!!! It is cute, lightweight, easy to use. The list goes on and on. B&N has a huge selection of well priced books and u can read for free in store. I got the black and white 3g version instead of the Nook color so price was nice. My only real complaint is that the web browsing is slow and impractical but the store app is easy so you never really need to use the web page. Anyway, I don't get the science of how it works but I LOVE my personal librarian. Most importantly, I was able to search for PCOS books quickly, bought 4, and saved $20 vs in store purchase. There were only two books I found in store that weren't on the nook so not bad.
My first book was The Insulin Resistance Diet by Cheryle Hart and Mary Kay Grossman. It was a short book only 152 pages. It had alot of explanation in easy to understand terms. The link and balance strategy is the main idea and it seems simple to follow. There were lots of food examples and real world applications. My favorite parts were the personal stories from women dealing with insulin resistance. By the end of the book, I felt hopeful that link and balance could be a successful way to manage my insulin resistance.
The basic idea is to pair carbs with proteins and to eat every two to five hours. It was explained in much more detail though and at the end there is a quiz to see if you understand the concepts or if you need another read. I bookmarked some of the food guide pages and tested it at home and at Cheddars, Olive Garden, and IHOP. I felt full at each meal and quickly found foods that fit the link and balance. They really emphasized the fact that insulin resistance is a life long issue that if not corrected can lead to diabetes or heart disease. They also emphasized that mistakes will be made, desserts will be eaten (i really liked the Three Bites of Bliss idea) but as long as you work hard to make better food choices you will be rewarded
with a healthier longer life. Overall, quick simple read with simple encouraging steps. I'll keep you posted on results. One book down, three to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment